View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Daucuscarota View Post
Sober Day #66

My oldest drinking buddy
(who I had distanced myself from since I quit---it was not a very healthy relationship)
contacted me today ---she is going thru multiple crises and is very angry that I have not been there for her.
I have to figure it out.

I really need to change my whole life, and that means cleaning house in many areas.
But I feel guilty about deserting her. Is it possible to support her from a distance?

Any advice from those further down this road?
Lots of good advice here already, but I would reinforce the need to set boundaries. And it is 100% acceptable to set them with your sobriety as the #1 priority. Guilt will happen - it's a natural consequence to making changes in your life, but nothing in life worth having is "easy" to come by.

Specific to this person, take a look at what she is really asking you for. If her idea of you "being there for her" is simply drinking with her, then you probably have just cut the cord 100%. If there is a legitimate request she has for support - like for example needing a ride to the hospital to visit a relative, or a lift to an AA meeting, or something like that then you can certainly consider helping. But if she is just mad because you aren't her drinking buddy anymore then she will have to just deal with it.