Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
"Sometimes the best way in which to show Love, is to say nothing at all."

How many times have I opened my big mouth when it would have been best to just keep what I was saying to myself ?
MMB thanks for sharing this quote. I've never heard it before. I've noticed one of the many blessings in my sobriety has been the ability to pause and think first before sharing the thoughts in my head or sharing what I want to say.

I'm also a lot more patient and forgiving around people who say things that just come to them instead of considering if these words are going to hurt someone.

I had both examples just happen this weekend with family. A family member sitting at a large family table, shared a couple of "embarrassing" stories about me from childhood. If I was still unrecovered, I would've let the hurt pride ruin the entire night because I'd be stewing in anger and drinking it down. I would have also gone on and on about it for the entire drive home with my husband, looking for reassurance of my justified anger. Instead, I just let it go.

I also noticed two times I said something to family members because I thought I was being helpful for another family member who looked lonely because people weren't sitting at that table. I realized immediately afterward that I was "playing God"--it was not my place or my job to fix things.

The self-awareness I've gained in sobriety has been amazing.

The new reactions toward and thinking about other people has been miraculous.

I see so clearly now how sobriety is a journey, not a destination.... more learning and growing to do.

Chop wood, carry water.