View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Once I'd told my sponsor more about myself I went from feeling slightly wrong-footed (potentially) by disclosure, to feeling that she was a very strong ally.

I chose my sponsor because I'd seen how she conducts herself at meetings. She talks a bit about herself, or if invited, about the person she is speaking to. She will never gossip. Ever. The closest to that she might get is asking if someone is okay if she's concerned about them and wonders if she can be useful.

I often ask people if they have a sponsor. It is not because I'm thinking that I could do the job for them. More in the hopes that they are considering deepening their AA recovery, because I firmly believe that it's through working with a sponsor and doing the step work that I learned to apply my program to all areas of my life, which is exactly what I needed to do. Sitting in meetings is lovely, but not a replacement for working my own program on a daily basis. I know, because I put it off for so long. I thought that only people who drank daily or who were on the brink of a relapse needed to do the steps. Now I know it's more to do with the quality of my sobriety, recovery, life and relationships than just about whether I'd drink if I didn't do it.

If you are thinking of getting a sponsor, I'd suggest thinking about whose long term and sustained recovery you'd like for yourself. Then ask that person. Doesn't matter if they've never offered or hinted or even shown an interest in you. Just because someone is keen to sponsor you, doesn't make em the right person necessarily. My sponsor had barely spoken 2 words directly to me when I asked her. Her response was instantaneous. "I wondered when you were going to ask! And the answer is yes, but I have some rules...." Lol. Straight down the line and no messing about. I knew I'd picked the right person because I definitely need someone who won't put up with nonsense or excuses, and will spot (and call me out on) and rationalisation or BS. I suppose looking back it was her integrity and self-discipline that I admired and envied, and her calmness. Serenity I suppose. And under her guidance I'm getting more integrity and self-discipline myself. Slowly but surely. So it's working out.