View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberCarpenter

2,000 days sober today

I'm so grateful to be 2,000 days sober today - but to be honest I feel like a cheat because it sounds like I did it 2,000 times when in fact I did it once and just kept hold of it for 2,000 days. I am so grateful to be sober today. I had my last drink in a hospital bed 5 and a half years ago - I was drinking up to two 750ml bottles of vodka or whiskey a day and I'd been in intensive care 3 times in that year for acute pancreatitis - I should be dead.

I didnt get sober on my own and I didn't stay sober alone. My alcoholism was a disease of loneliness, a disease of thinking I knew best. I didnt get better through my own power or strength or will power. I did it through realizing that I was too sick, twisted and crazy to make decisions for myself and that I needed to seek the help and advice of those who had found sanity and wellness and could guide me step by step. I surrendered my will to them and I surrendered my will to God - I let them tell me what to do, day by day and minute by minute - sometimes it sucked and sometimes my will got in the way and I had to remind myself where my own best thinking and wisdom had got me - and then I surrendered all over again.

That's it - it really is that simple.

Thanks for reading and God bless you all. You can do it.