Old 04-06-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Tiredofdrugs
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by sugarangel View Post
Hi, TOD....

Awesome pics!! The babies are so dang cute!! I just want to hold one. But, I wouldn't know what to do. Seriously. Never held a chicken before. Do you pet them like you would a dog or cat?? Just wondering....
Your Brandon stories crack me up. That little guy really loves you. It's so sweet!! And Sherry is still the prettiest little chicken I've seen.
So, how are the new babies doing?? And how are Brandon, Tasha, Sherry and Molly?? And Jethro, of course!!
And how are you doing?? How's the teeth thing going?? Any better?? Was wondering how you were getting on with the dentures?? And, btw, I did the chili on the baked potato, and the broccoli, too. Awesome!! It was good, quick, filling, and easy to eat. Thanks for the suggestions. They really helped.
So, have you named the new little ones yet??
Hope you are having a stellar day!!
Baby chicks we hold cupped in our two hands. Or we put a hand over them to hold them close to our chest or underneath our neck.

When they get bigger we hold them in one arm up against our chest or stomach. We pet them like you would a dog. We don't pet them too much though when they are molting. That's when they lose their feathers and get these stiff waxed covered feathers coming in. They are tender to the touch during those times. I also pick them up by putting one hand underneath them and scooping them up! My neighbor saw me do that one day and was amazed at how they don't mind and don't flop around. Then I hold them against my side. Molly loves being held this way. She lays her head on my arm and watches what all is happening around her. I carry her everywhere like that.

Sherry needs a bath in a bad way right now. Those 3 little ones have got the chick starter all over her. Plus they'll jump on her back and poop on her. Ugh! I'm forever using baby wipes on her! There's no way she would stand for not being with her babies right now if we wanted to bathe her. So she'll get a shower when she's done with them.

Babies are getting so big! We are used to raising the tiny little Silkie babies! One of the Barred Rock babies already has two bars on it's wings. I'm beginning to think it's a little Roo from the way it's acting. And it's slightly larger than the other one. Little Ginger holds her own with them though. LOL Jethro had already gone to bed and was waiting on me to put Sherry and the babies in their clothes basket in his bedroom for the night. Ginger started telling momma she was ready for bed so I picked her up and dropped her over Jethro's shoulder where she snuggled deep down into the warmth against his chest! I retrieved her when I put Momma and other babies in their bed. Jethro would have been happy to let her sleep right where she was!

Jethro can be a sweetheart one minute and a pissed off man in the drop of a hat. He's Italian after all! LOL He's been super busy working on a car in the shop, building a tractor pen for Tasha in the shop too. Then he's been working on the huge woodpile out front too. He takes the two Momma's to potty outside in the mornings. I take them out at night. Then he'll put the little ones outside during the day, weather permitting. I get everything ready for them to come in at dark-thirty! Then I tend them until they all go to bed which is usually around 1:00 am. Between taking care of them, cooking Jethro supper, laundry, etc. I drop into my chair when they go to bed!

I have another spot in my mouth that's going to be operated on to remove a hard round spot. I have appts scheduled thru September to be fitted for my permanent dentures. Just think how much weight I will have lost by then? I tried on my favorite pair of pants today I haven't been able to wear in years for curiosity sake. They slid right on and I could zip and button them w/o any trouble. Still gotta work on this extra tummy fat though! But I'm getting there!

My sister will name the little ones when she gets them. I just call them baby, baby, baby! LOL I'm tempted to call them Sleepy and Happy! One wants to sleep a lot and the other is just so happy and playful.

Good deal on the food you were able to eat!

TOD