View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
. I wonder if she ever makes the other girls feel like she thinks she's above them? Just a thought...
I have wondered the same-- I had some mean girls say that to me when I was a high schooler (I think) and was STUNNED because what I was, was insecure, afraid and tried to keep to myself.... And because I did not engage in the backstabbing drama, that somehow made me seem snotty? I see SO much of my cringeworthy younger self in DD 11 and I do not want to dissuade her from being herself....

I am amazed by her and proud of her for being a kind kid -- she's the one who sits with the kids being left out of group work in class and chooses to work alone herself at times vs. work with kids who are goofing off. She has a work ethic second to none and is nice and pretty and an athlete and the teachers choose her as the student of the month pretty often and all of these nice things make her a target... She is oblivious to all these positives and thinks negatively of herself more than anyone I know and then the mean girl crap on top of it and she just feels so low so often...

It's this weird mix... she is ok with herself, but feels she is "less than" and then kids are mean and she feels like they confirm for her what she already feels about herself-- but she is also oddly ok with herself...

Im probably not making sense... It's hard to describe...

I do think that because she does not have 2 sh*ts to give about the typical middle school girl world, those whose lives revolve around gossip and petty banter DO probably look at her negatively...

Such a horrid age...

Her track season just began and her Math/Sci teacher who is her running mentor of sorts emailed her tonight about a running hero of DD's that she (the teacher) saw at an indoor track meet last year-- so at least the night ended positively with DD feeling like an adult at her school "gets" her if not the kids...

Sigh... And when I try and talk to DD about how to be true to herself and still sort of navigate the social world of Middle School, she gets irritated with me for trying to "make her" be something she isn't...

Can't blame her for being annoyed but damn if I didn't wish that I could keep her from feeling hurt...

Im finding myself anxiety ridden at work daily each day wondering how DD's day is going and worried about what bullying BS is coming down the pike ....