View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Aw, you know, I still cringe when I think of some of the things I used to say and do that were less than, as you so tactfully put it, "socially savvy." I finally GOT savvy, but it took me till about 10th grade to get there. None of it seemed natural to me, and I had to consciously make the effort not to come off as too "different."

My older son struggled the same way (younger son very socially at ease). I used to tell older son that it's FINE to march to your own drummer, but sometimes the consequences are that other people will not relate. HIS problem was that he not only wanted things his "different" way, he wanted others to go along with whatever his current passion was.

Actually, one thing I learned later in life (as in, several years ago) is that I sometimes come off as thinking I'm superior to other people. It took me a long time to realize that, and it was a bit of a shock (because that's so NOT how I feel--most of the time, anyway), but apparently I was projecting that. So it's something I now try to be very aware of, and I think I've made progress in that area. It sort of goes along with the general lack of social savvy. I wonder if she ever makes the other girls feel like she thinks she's above them? Just a thought...