View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

With my kids in situations like this I turn it on them. I might start busting there chops relentlessly about the garabge candy they eat and how its not healthy etc... I turn it back on my kids in ways that get them thinking and give them a hard time. I probably push it to far too for example if my kids are giving me a hard time about my vegan eating i might make an off color joke about the meat they might be eating it might be so bad too that they refuse to eat in the same room with me for fear of hearing another comment like that out of me.

But it gets them to think and question what there eating and or beliefs are.

ONe time when my son was younger he sided up wtih my wife and felt he was suddenly an adult and could lecture me on cleaning up the dog logs in the yard. I took him out to walk the dog with me one day waited for the dog to lay a hot and steamy one and then told him to use this shopping bag to pick it up and throw it away. he cried and begged that i not make him pick that awful thing up etc.. I told him to get on it its not a big deal to pick it up you even said so yourself on more then on occaision to me etc... He finally tearfully picked it up. I later explained that picking up poo isnt that easy and that if he wants to run his mouth he should be willing to pick up the poo himself even I also explained that i'm the parent and hes't he child and its disrespectful to order me around like that.

he never once suggested i pick up the dog poo anymore lol.

Your case is probaby a little more complex tho since you have the prior drinking history to contend with as well.