View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Fusion

AlaskaGirl, your post brimmed with the joy of taking alcohol off the table, forever! You must be so pleased with your fund-raising achievement.

Your description of events after your husband drank too much - was a role reversal of me and mine, save for I was never sweet, alcohol addiction subsumed and subjugated my real personality. When (relatively) sober the following morning, my husband would recount the evenings events and I was appalled at my behaviour. I'm still so grateful that he stuck by me through those dreadful years. He's still amazed at how rapidly I transformed and reverted to my pre-drinking self, in fact he believes I'm improved in many ways, more tolerant.

I believe it's because AVRT has allowed me, not only to recognise the AV, but to strengthen my authentic self and hone my recognition of non-AV related thoughts, which are repetitive, self-defeating and not conducive to my psychological health; thereby I disassociate from those negative thoughts too.

Rambling now, but this additional skill is a pleasantly unexpected, beneficial side effect of learning AVRT. Who would've thought that stopping drinking forever could increase my propensity to handle thoughts and feelings, that used to bedevil me and restrict me.