Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
khendal46

I just checked back into this forum and saw your reply! I cannot say how much it means to me that you said that, I am so glad that my reply helped!! So many times since I have been in AA I have been caught up in following the definition of what other people define as being "truly sober", and worrying about "having the alcoholic brain since birth" as the old timers like to put it. Let me tell you, while alcoholics and addicts do have a certain neural pathway that makes us prone to substance abuse, that does not in any way discount our suffering in other mental health issues!!
If we are these idiots who cannot take any substance with abusing them, then please tell me why rehabs are prescribing medications to ease our suffering as we get off of our self-medication(alcohol)!! Sometimes issues are not related to sobriety, they are related to getting a clear head, trauma, dealing with our cards in life as we are dealt them, and moving on with life whether we need the assistance of medication or not!
In the end, it truly does not matter. The relationship between you and your doctor is private for a reason... That reason being because it is no one else's business!! (my sponsor has been on anti-depressants for 15 of her 30 years of sobriety and does not divulge this to people in the rooms of AA because that is a personal choice that only she needs to worry about; she also does not judge me for taking medication for my anxiety as long as I am honest about it!) Thanks for reading!