View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
time4change79

Originally Posted by CactusJill View Post
I am asking this seriously - no intention to categorize people or offend.

I have been in and out of AA meetings since 2004, and one thing I have had difficulty with is the fact that in nearly every meeting, the people there tend to have hit a very, very low bottom and I never meet anyone in my line of work or with my level of education. There is nothing wrong with that and I definitely don't have a superiority complex (my long term bf is a server in a restaurant).

But I am curious. Where do all the nerds like me go? I am a professor, and I have never, ever met anyone that was highly educated, or business owners, or anything like that in any meeting I have been to. And I have been to many, many meetings in 2 different states.

It may be possible that there are professional, educated people at meetings who just don't talk about it, but in my experience most people in AA are completely open about their jobs and almost everything else.

I like SR because I meet a much greater variety of people here than I do in f2f meetings. So please don't take my question personally. I know many people here are very educated or are very professionally successful. I just don't see that in f2f meetings.

Any ideas?
I'm new to all of this, but I would assume the chances of someone with a serious drinking problem working in a professional environment is probably not as common.

I'm currently finishing up a business degree, and my drinking has set me back more than once during my accedemic journey. While, I have accepted that I'm an alcoholic and that my drinking has become problematic, I'm not in the same universe as a drunk/day drinker.

I couldn't imagine that type of an alcoholic being able to work in a professional field for very long, despite the fact that they certainly do exist.

I think people like myself are more likely to talk to their doctor, friends and family before they just pull the plug on their drinking cold turkey without meetings. From what I'm hearing the type of people at these meetings are the type of alcoholics that get blacked out drunk, get DUI's, or have little to no control over their drinking. It would be pretty hard to be a professional with that type of a drinking problem.

No disrespect to anyone that didn't go to college, and yes, this is a huge sweeping generalizion.