View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acheleus

Statement of Use

I was at a meeting last night and I noticed that I always feel better after going to meetings. Earlier this month I wrote a statement for a professional organization. The organization wanted an entire history of my alcohol use--amounts, types of alcohol used, etc.

Surprisingly, I felt positive after writing the statement. I could see patterns in my history of use and I learned that I have earned my sobriety by changing my perspective about everything. The reality of my problem is scary, but I believe that I have the tools I need to make sure I live life on life's terms as a sober person.

I posted to reach out and ask if anyone gained clarity about self-destructive behavior patterns as they progressed in sobriety. For a couple of months I was taking my sobriety for granted, focusing on other things and worrying too much about the future. I then wrote the statement and I felt different about everything related to my alcoholism. The reality of the past became more vivid.

Did you learn more about your alcoholism as you remained sober? If so, what did you learn? Do you still feel embarrassed about your past actions?