Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
nyala

Hello everyone,

Congratulations on your efforts and thank you for sharing your journeys. Wherever you are with early sobriety, each hour that goes by is another heroic feat, and it does get easier. And it is definitely worth the effort.

A special hello, to those here that may remember me from back in the day

With humility and respect, I'd like to sit in on the group with you and share your journeys and maybe offer some support gained from my own journey.

I'm still sober and eternaly grateful ( every day ) for this.

However, I started smoking again recently, after not having had a cigarette for 17 years. My 'reason' ( what fools we alcoholics are ), was that if I didn't do something naughty, then I may pick up a drink.

That may have been true, but the outcome is I am completely addicted to this habit now, and am long past the period when it was enjoyable. My behaviour is entirely the same as when I was drinking ( worrying about stock control, lying about the amount I smoke, switching brands and strengths, measuring the number I smoke each day, promising myself I will 'ease off slowly' or be able to moderate ) - It is all self delusional ********, and continuing to smoke does nothing for me, and will end up killing me. So I must stop.

So I may be sober, but I'm not in control. And I'm feeling the same way I did in the last few years of my drinking career.

So I'm in for March. I'd like to say I will stop now. But that will be a lie.

My plan is to hit the sack at a reasonable hour ( its nearly bedtime down here in Cape Town ) , then get up and have a run, before the urge to smoke the first one hits me in the morning, then check in here.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Heres my thought for today:

"There is no situation so bad, that picking up a drink can't make a hundred times worse"

Go Well,

Fradley