Thread: Quick question.
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by Missandy View Post
I was just curious because I am not an alcoholic and I do not understand what he is going thru.
That might be nice for him to hear.

We aren't on bad terms, he just was honest and said a relationship was too much pressure for him.
It sounds like you did not take it personally. That is good. It's not personal. He needs to work on recovery, which is enough pressure itself.

Of course, I was angry, sometimes still am angry and noticed my old codependent ways popping back up so I got myself back to alanon and therapy.
I hope Alanon and therapy are helping you see your own truths about your codependent ways. Focus on yourself and your behavior and thinking, and not on his behavior.

I just wanted him to know I am proud, do love him and am being supportive from afar.
If that is your motive, then I would send him a text with those exact words and then leave it there. Period. It's brief, it's kind, it's supportive. Let it be like a whiff of perfume that's pleasant and gone (something my sponsor once said to me).

If he writes back "thank you", let it be just like that. Let him have the last word, unless his response needs an explanation. If he doesn't respond to your text, just leave it, do not send another one.