View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
One of the most difficult things about getting sober is that we sometimes need to change the people we spend time with or the places we go. People who do not respect your wish to be sober are not true friends to be quite frank. You may need to stop hanging around with them. As to the question of "why" they act as they do or say what they say, you will most likely never know. But if they continue to try and get you to drink even after you tell them you don't want to, i'd strongly suggest finding other people to hang around with.
THIS.

As I often do, I agree with Scott. (I would also add to the "you may never know why" part that it doesn't matter!)

I often say that I am "ruthless about who has a seat at my table." NO ONE - no friend, no family member, absolutely no one- gets a place in my life, let alone heart and time, if they are not positive and supportive, both of my sobriety and of being their own best selves (alcoholics or not, as my worthy circle includes both). Am I being harsh? Nope- alcoholism KILLS - and my sobriety is the single most important thing in my life. Even beyond- truthfully- my beloved boyfriend who will become my husband.

I choose the positive, the peaceful and the least "difficult" as best I can. Relationships that go against that are compartmentalized into a surface level if they are necessary to maintain to any degree.

Just my $0.02.