Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
argillaceous

Hi fellow Marchers 'round the world,

Haven't had much time to check in, but I have been at least getting here daily to read your posts. I'm on Day 8, and echo the overtired theme, and also I had to check how many days it had been like Bebrave. That hasn't happened before now.

My nearly 14-year-old dog had a pretty bad seizure tonight. It's an incredibly difficult thing to watch; he isn't aware during the actual seizure but afterward is totally disoriented and confused. He's been through stomach cancer (two years ago, malignant but not spread to lymph nodes at the time of surgery), but this past year he's seized a dozen times or so.

And when we took him to the ER about six months ago after back-to-back seizures he was diagnosed with advanced heart disease. As icing on the cake, he has extreme muscle atrophy over his left eye; the docs speculate there may be a brain tumor in the works as well.

But we're not going to subject him to any more tests; it's palliative care and a huge thanks every extra day we have with him. I have no biological children so my dogs are sort of my furkids (we have one other one, a girl who is 12). I would fill my house with dogs if I could.

He is such a trooper. He still insists on going up and down the stairs every day, even though I know it pains him, and jumps up on the couches himself. I so admire his strength.

Anyways, sorry for going on. It's just hard. But I didn't pick up. Instead I spent the time hanging out with him; we're in bed now. He's just had ice cream and is resting up against me. Just taking this moment in for what it is now: feeling his warmth and listening to the slow, steady in and out of his breath. There is much to be grateful for.