View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MicroMacro
Now what?

Originally Posted by Dagz View Post
So I've been drinking every day for about 5 or so years,

it takes about half a bottle of whiskey for me to even feel anything whatsoever. Beer doesn't work, at all.

Since beer doesn't get me drunk, I plan on weaning off (starting tomorrow) by starting at about 4-6 beers,

I've been having liver pains, and I'm tired of living this lifestyle.

What did you do during the times you wanted to drink? I figured I'd ask if anyone has any advice on how to keep your mind off drinking day to day, and what lifestyle changes you made that helped you cope with quitting.
Hi,

I can relate to your drinking habits. I used to drink 4 bottles of wine a day for years. And I can relate to the painful liver - I used to walk around pushing on mine to alleviate the burn. And I can relate to tapering - I've done it numerous times. Sometimes, I was successful - other times I had to go to the ER or back into treatment.

I've been to treatment seven times and I've tried numerous recovery programs. The only thing that's working for me is throwing myself into my education and the promise of an exciting new career. That's how big the lifestyle change has to be for me. And I still think about drinking sometimes, but I don't crave alcohol and that alone feels like a miracle.

I really fought against getting sober, though. So, maybe you won't need to make such extreme gestures in your own life. Fill your time with things you love to do. Set small and attainable goals.

What do you love to do?

What are you going to do with that $200.00 each month when you aren't spending it on alcohol?

Best