View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dagz

Need advice, quitting alcohol

So I've been drinking every day for about 5 or so years, ever since a major breakup with a girl I was in love with (I know, typical cliche). Anyways, I need some advice from others on how you spend your time now from when you normally would sit around the house getting drunk. Tomorrow (3/21) is my first "wean" day. I drink quite a bit, but I don't drink from the minute I wake up in the morning. With that said, it takes about half a bottle of whiskey for me to even feel anything whatsoever. Beer doesn't work, at all.

However, I figured I'd use that to my advantage. Since beer doesn't get me drunk, I plan on weaning off (starting tomorrow) by starting at about 4-6 beers, and if I don't feel any withdrawal, continue that for 2 days, and then after 2 days, cut it down by 1 beer (3-5), and continue that cycle until I'm down to zero. I know some people say weaning doesn't work, however I've had many friends who have successfully weaned off alcohol without having any major withdrawal symptoms. This also isn't the first time I've had withdrawal from something. I used to be addicted to OxyContin, but I kicked it cold turkey. If alcohol withdrawal wasn't deadly, I'd kick it cold turkey as well, but since that's a dangerous thing to do, I figured weaning would be my best bet. I can overcome the psychological aspect. I just need to wean my body (physically) from freaking out too bad during the quitting period.

I've been having liver pains, and I'm tired of living this lifestyle. I easily spend over $200 a month on alcohol alone, and I'm ready to give it up. I already have a set wean schedule, and I know for sure I can do it. However, to help make it easier, I figured I'd find a forum where people who have struggled with alcohol addiction can give me some advice.

What did you do during the times you wanted to drink? Did you do anything productive, or did you just sit around the house and fight the urges? I'm wanting to know because I work from home (for the most part) and I'm studying for the CCNA. I spend most of my time inside, doing the same thing, except on the weekends when me and my buddies go out and have fun, which usually results in drinking. I feel like doing the same thing I've been doing will increase the urge to drink, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has any advice on how to keep your mind off drinking day to day, and what lifestyle changes you made that helped you cope with quitting.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.