View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
ThatWasTheOldMe

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
we must have different big books.

step 1-
We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

step 2-We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built

step 3-Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?
ill skip ahead a bit-
We were now at Step Three. Many of us said to our Maker, as we understood Him: "God, I offer myself to Thee-to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!" We thought well before taking this step making sure we were ready; that we could at last abandon ourselves utterly to Him.

theres a lot in between all that explains how in my big book, but its pretty simple
tomsteve,

This bolded part is the only part that gets me. I don't believe God is a "Maker," in the sense of a deity. I believe God is the universe itself.

Can that understanding carry through to the rest of the steps?