Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Db1105

Originally Posted by JWS View Post
The vast majority of people that enter the rooms of AA legitmately want to quit drinking. In fact, that's a REQUIREMENT of membership. Sadly, some have no desire whatsoever to do so. Rather, they are only there to avoid incarceration. Yes, I know the success stories of those who first entered on court slips. Still, I find with those not serious about our program. They simply do not respect the spirtitual foundation of our program: anonymity. Again, they don`t even want to be there. Why should they care about gossiping? (their thinking)

Because of my job, I have professional contact with those who break the law. Though I strategically attend meetings to vastly reduce the risk of recognition, it has not eliminated the encounters altogether. Long short, my anonymity has be broken several times. Though my sponsor, who works in the same field, says there was worse places to be seen, that is beside the point. I know for a fact there are true alcoholics who don't come in the rooms for the exact concern I described.

Closed meetings can be just as bad. These guys always have someone who will discreetly sign for them. They are all about attending meetings that minimize their inconvenience. The message is bey

Our 7th tradition says we are fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. So is it about time agents of the government stop mandating people into the rooms? When they are ready on their own, the alcoholic is welcomed and encouraged to return.
Most people
I've met came into AA kicking and screaming. Very few have just one day decided they had enough. Stopped drinking, and contacted AA. The majority I've met had some outside force be it legal, career, or relationship issue.
I known I came into AA some 40 years ago because of legal issues. Since AA is completely self supporting, there is no 7th Tradition conflict with the courts. It's an issue that should be delt with at the group level. Bring it up at your at your Home Group next business meeting.