View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Midas

Post Perhaps...This Too Shall Pass.

Concerning the recent hostilities:

It should go without saying that (Ahem!) We are all in this struggle for our own very lives. Blessed are the newcomers, for without them, our fellowship would cease to exist. Our task is paramount, nay absolutely tantamount, to hold true to our responsibility in helping others recover from their addictions.

We are not here to berate, brow-beat, insult, judge, discourage, or in any other way ridicule other members who are trying to get sober.

No single member (or married for that matter) should feel the necessity to don the boxing gloves when they are voicing themselves.

"Let us also remember to guard that erring member - the tongue, and if we must use it, let's use it with kindness and consideration and tolerance."
-Dr. Bob, Sunday, July 30, 1950

Big Book, pg 62.

Selfishness--self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.

Three Critical Steps:
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with *God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

(The God of your own choosing, even if that means the absence thereof).

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we try to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

The Compassionate Creed:

I am responsible . . .When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there. And for that: I am responsible.

I too will be staying. The divine desire that's in my Heart dictates this decision. Be good to one another. Respect differing opinions. Always seek to bring Faith to the faithless, give Hope to those who are hopeless, and share the wealth of Love to those who are unloved.

Thanks for listening.
~Midas / Barry ~