View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post

They were intelligent and caring people. But I found it hard to follow their direction on my career because they just did not understand how things go in my line of work

I would certainly been able to trust his direction on career stuff more.
The spirit of anonymity means that all social and professional status is checked at the door. In AA there is no status, only spiritual equals. It has nothing to do with career planning or any other life issue, simply a spritual solution to alcoholism.

Whe I joined AA, unbeknownst to me, the first people to great me were the managing director of New Zealands largest company, two doctors, a very famous architect, and a lawyer, among others. They were just George, Phil, Barney, Bill and Ashley - alcoholics. I looked like the wild man from Borneo, but they treated me as an equal, and showed me a great deal of love.

Since that time, skid row bum with a head full of scrambled eggs, I have had a wonderful work life, a career from trainee to senior management, and been moderately successful in business

Yet in my AA work with alcoholics, I stick to the program of recovery only. I would never presume to direct anyone in what they should do career wise, or relationship wise, or anything else other that the 12 steps, and the AA 24 hour plan, which suggests we all turn to our higher power for guidance on such matters. I might suggest trained professionals to advise on such issues.

AA has never been a direct help to my career. That is not it's purpose. AA got me sober and showed me how to live successfully in this world. My career advancement was due to my new found ability to get on in life because I was sober, not because I was able to get career guidance in AA.