View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alphabet

I go to meetings because it was the only thing I hadn't tried yet, and nothing else got and kept me sober. I was desperate, and in that desperation decided to finally really gave AA a shot, and that's what helped me get my life back. That doesn't mean I think everyone needs to go to meetings to get or stay sober, but for me, it was the only thing that has worked..

I will admit, though, that my severe social anxiety sometimes prevents me from walking through the door, even on days when I really want to. I am still working through this issue and hope to get to a better place. That's a big reason why I re-joined this community - to keep myself connected and accountable, and to remind myself of how bad it was and how bad it will absolutely, undoubtedly get if I pick up again.

Find what works for you, and stick with it is the best advice I could give. Far be it from me to tell anyone they're getting and staying sober the wrong way; as long as you have a plan, and you're sticking with it, you're doing better than a lot of people out there.