Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MrMcTell

Originally Posted by Djlee View Post
I'm more of a binge drinker I guess. Usually 1 to 2 weeks at a time heavy drinking then stop a few days dry out and start over.
I'm new to recovery myself (54 days) and managed to claw myself back from destructive everyday drinking to "only" bingeing at the weekends. I thought I was managing my problem by "drying out" during the week.

I was very slow to realize the extent to which I was maintaining a physical dependency on alcohol and that drying out takes much, much longer than a few days. I only say this because whenever I did quit, I struggled to get past a few days. I thought this was because I was "an alcoholic" (i.e. preprogramed to drink all the time) but I now feel this was because I was actively addicted to alcohol even when I thought I had "dried out." [I am an alcoholic, and freely admit as much, but understand it in a different way now.]

I'm amazed at how the cravings have subsided and the 24 hour-an-day obsession with drink has subsided after 7+ weeks.

I only say this because you used the expression "drying out" and this was something I deluded myself over for many, many years.