View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alphabet

Those are all great things, no question - but from one analytical thinker to another, I have to say that there is no rationalizing away this affliction. For me, it continued to convince me otherwise, that I had this down, even though all the research I was doing to stay sober proved otherwise. I relapsed countless times because I thought I could outsmart my own illness. I never could, and I never want to fall for the delusion that I'll ever be able to.

Personally, the only thing that ended up helping me get and stay sober was AA. I fought it tooth and nail, tried everything under the sun to stay sober, but in the end it was the only thing that worked. I was happy to realize, too, that it is not a religious program, either, but a spiritual one. In fact, I myself am begrudgingly agnostic, leaning more towards atheist, and know of a few atheistic meetings around my area that fit the bill for a host of people I know that don't like the idea of religion in recovery, either.

There's also SMART recovery, which I found to be really helpful, precisely because they have largely analytical conversations about addiction and recovery in their meetings. So while AA keeps me grounded and honest, SMART keeps the analytical side of me engaged.

Whatever path to recovery you find is right for you, the key is to stick with it!