Old 03-10-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by ScaredWife29 View Post

This "AA professional" is someone who has known the family for a long time and has had experience with AA. I think she is an older lady, in her 70s or 80s, from the sound of it. I have no idea what her AA experience entails or whether she is a certified therapist (from the sounds of it, she is not actually a professional). I do wish she would have talked to me before making that assessment. This situation is pretty bad and someone making suicidal threats, even if vague, should not be ignored.
I have a feeling the "professional" title was added by the inlaws.
ive been a member of AA for 12 years now and the ONLY 'professionals" I have come across in AA are professional drunks. AA doesn't hand out titles to anyone no matter how long they've been in AA, how much they know about AA, or how much they know about alcoholism.
and if this person knew something about what the program says in the chapter 'working with others", this person would know it suggests:

If there is any indication that he wants to stop, have a good talk with the person most interested in him - usually his wife.
Get an idea of his behavior, his problems, his background, the seriousness of his condition, and his religious leanings. You need this information to put yourself in his place, to see how you would like him to approach you if the tables were turned.