Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ScaredWife29

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
His family is in the sickness of alcoholism, it is very dysfunctional and toxic. Everyone here is in some level of denial and co dependency. I will tell you that talking back and forth with his parents will probably get you nowhere, you are the scape goat at this point, that was the role I played with my alcoholic mother and my brother, it is one of the most painful positions to be in. Until I saw it, I was in deep, and I couldn't get away from it, I had to detach, once I did it was all so clear.
Thank you. I am so sorry you went through that with your mother and brother. Alcoholism is such a disgusting thing and it is awful that so many people and their loved ones suffer from it.

I do feel like the scapegoat now. His dad was already cold toward me. I'm sure he will be arctic next time I see him. I feel like all the expectations and blame are on my shoulders. I will leave at some point once I cannot take the abuse and heartbreaking cycle anymore, and then they will have to deal with it if they care at all about their son.

I am not a parent yet, but I simply cannot imagine being this flippant about my child... To expect his wife to deal with him or decide to leave (but judge her if she leaves for good and doesn't come back when he "gets better"), or wait until he hits "rock bottom" and hurt himself or someone else.

Maybe they gave up on him and his emotional issues a long time ago. I bet they are happy there's someone else (who was stupid enough to marry him) who has to deal with him now.