View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
As Bimini said, much of what other people "claim" is kind of irrelevant. Some people claim the world is flat too, right?

Bottom line you have been prescribed meds by your doctor to use during withdrawal. As long as your doctor is fully aware of your drinking history and you are taking the meds as prescribed to help your anxiety during withdrawal, that's all that should really matter to you. If you are scared that there may be a problem with addiciton to these meds, tell your doctor...he/she may be able to prescribe something else more appropriate.

This is pretty much my position. I am just over one year sober and I take a med regimen supervised by my excellent psych; I am totally honest with her about how I am doing, that I am sober, and everything related to my life/health and mental state. I take ativan (lorazepam) daily, as needed, for anxiety. I have taken it in varying doses/as needed rx instructions since I quit drinking. I am careful to stay within the limits and talk with her about my usage- and other tools I have to alleviate anxiety. I have a history of taking meds "incorrectly" (or taking certain kinds more than prescribed) so we are very cognizant of this. I am a believer that meds are there to help us and many are very useful (I take several others related to my sobriety and mental health, including campral, paxil, and seroquel) in living a healthy sober life.

Which is my primary goal.

And I am a dedicated AA-er so .... good advice about separating the "people from the program" and good idea about trying different meetings.

Good luck.