Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
My dog's death was the most intense pain I've endured in 25 years of recovery.
Working my sobriety program helped me to change how I handled a similar experience but with different reactions. I hope this helps others:

When my first dog was put down, I wasn't working a program. I cried like crazy, and wouldn't let go of him. He likely felt my stress and sadness. My vet gently moved me away so that my dog could have a peaceful euthanasia. He pet him gently as the drug was taking effect. My poor dog had to deal with my emotional selfishness and self centeredness.

When my other dog had to put down last spring, I was there for him. I made sure I was calm for him. I cried, but I was able to speak to him and pet him very gently and reassuringly. I wanted to make sure he didn't think he had to hold on for me, and that he could let go peacefully. I wanted only love to enimate from me, and not pain. I told him in a happy calm voice that he was a good boy. I didn't want him to think he was making me sad. His euthanasia was a very different experience.

I held back on crying in the waiting room because I didn't want to upset any of the other dog owners or dogs there. I waited until I had the privacy of the bathroom to let it all out. Then I got myself together, and quietly sat down.

I thanked the vet on call for the very peaceful experience for my dog.

Night and day experiences and reactions for me. I made it about my dog and the other people, and not about me, me, me, me......