Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was a year or maybe a bit more sober when my cat got run over. This was no ordinary cat, it was more like a dog, and even came sailing with me. I nursed it through sickness too, and I was absolutely distraught when he died. Worse, I was really put out my my sponsor's "casualness" about the whole thing. I was expecting some serious sympathy and understanding, and none was forthcoming.

I see why now. Whether the cat lived or died actually had no bearing on whether I could stay sober or not. I had a program to live by, and a God to turn to in times of need, and that is how I have stayed sober regardless of anything that happens to me or mine, and worse things have happened since. A good program for sobriety has kept me sober no matter what.

On the other hand, a lot of people find it relatively easy to stop for a period. It may be days, weeks, months or years and can be quite sustainable as long as all in the garden is rosey. And then something bad happens (life) and they immediately, automatically, turn to their old solution, which of course is no solution at all. It is the time invested in a good solid program that has got me through these spots without the need to drink.

I have lost a couple of dogs since. I love dogs and cats, and I completely understand what loyal friends they are, and how their loss is such a tremendous blow. I felt the grief, I remember them fondly, but it never occurred to me that the loss could justify a drink.