View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
This is an interesting topic, thanks for posting.

Maybe I'm just terribly confused and deluded but I think my problem is the opposite most of the times but it's causing the same symptoms so to speak. I feel like I'm never good enough too but not because I want to be the best or better than others or anything. I've never been much competitive and I'm happy to give more than I take. Also if my doing doesn't affect anyone I don't really expect much from myself. Anything is good enough as long as I enjoyed the process of it. But I have this immense fear of letting people down or disappointing them. Not cause I worry about what they think of me but cause I don't want to be the cause for someone else's worries or problems. Which often makes life nearly impossible. I can feel guilt for eating the food that might have saved someone else's life in a poor country. I feel like a monster when I step on a bug and cause it's death cause I don't think my life is superior to any other life form. I can get so tangled up in these thoughts and I think it's cause I haven't developed much of an ego.
OK. Here's a question for you. What do you think it is in you that tells you that it would or should be possible for you to be the one person who never accidentally treads on a bug; or should be able to solve the world's hunger problem by eating up. And what makes you think that anyone is worrying about you? For me, that would be my ego, every time.

The answer to the pain of our dilemma is Humility - and that's one slippery bar of soap to keep hold of. Humility is not thinking less of ourselves, rather, think of ourselves less. When we become slightly more right-sized, then the problem of self is automatically less of a burden.

BB