Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
MicroMacro
Now what?

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
It's an AVRT thing, MicroMacro. AVRT is a logic engine patterned after the very logic of addiction itself,

That logic engine will lock on to any contingencies for abstinence, such as your suggestion of getting new all-consuming hobbies, and identify them as Addictive Voice, because in their absence, contingencies are also reasons to drink or use.

This is the logic of Addiction:
  1. I drink or use.
  2. IF (Any thinking that contradicts #1)
    Example: "I really shouldn't drink, it will cause big problems."
  3. Go To 1

Even the "whatever works" to quit drinking idea has some shortcomings when run through the AVRT logic engine. It's kind of like saying that there are many ways to throw a ball, and that what works for someone won't work for someone else.

There are many ways to throw a ball, of course, such as throwing it fast, or slow, but the key action of throwing is still essentially the same, regardless of how you throw it. The same holds for quitting drinking and using.

The Beast will complain and raise holy hell, of course, and try to get you to change your mind and drink or use again, but that's what AVRT is for. It locks on to any thinking that supports changing your mind, and then attributes it to the Beast, to keep you in your right mind.
I don't agree with any of that.

First, I didn't suggest that anyone get all new consuming hobbies. But now that you mention it - it's a great idea so long as they're hobbies a person really enjoys and wants to make part of their life.

"This is the logic of Addiction:

1. I drink or use.
2. IF (Any thinking that contradicts #1)
Example: "I really shouldn't drink, it will cause big problems."
3. Go To 1"

There is zero logic in that and that has not been my experience.

The analogy can rest in how the ball is thrown - fast or slow. It can also rest in how the ball is moved from point A to point B. Is it thrown, kicked, rolled - ... Going from active use to no use (and staying there) is what matters - not how it happens.

How I got to point B is a huge deal to me, but it's not for everyone. Just like secular recovery and AA aren't for everyone.

Giving self a name like "beast" looks a little like purposeful Dissociative Identity Disorder - but if that works for you. I certainly didn't originally post to touch on that.

But the point - I think - is that whatever works for an individual is what needs to be supported. The more options we have, the more apt we'll be to find what works the 1st or 2nd time 'round. Any one who figures out how to save their own life and leave the madness of addiction behind has achieved greatness.

Best