View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Andante

Yes. I have symptoms that translate as "anxiety" but have nothing to do with my state of mind, which is really pretty stable and relaxed most of the time thanks to my work in recovery. In my case, it seems like the symptoms of a physiological issue -- a nervous system that's stubbornly stuck in a kind of low grade red-alert mode after years of heavy drinking interspersed with periods of abstinence -- generate the anxious thoughts, as opposed to state of mind (worry) generating the anxious symptoms.

In any event, 40 days is really pretty early in the game to make any kind of meaningful assessment. Give your brain and nervous system some time to settle down. Ironically, cutting back on your drinking may have caused the symptoms to flare up worse because of an increased rebound effect. Only a long period of complete abstinence will tell you for sure whether alcohol is a factor.

Meanwhile, you probably already know the drill for dealing with anxiety, no matter what its source: breathing exercises, mindfulness, meditation, therapy, healthy diet, exercise, etc. These may not directly address the underlying biochemical imbalance that's causing the symptoms, but it will alleviate their intensity.

Hope this helps, and I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Keep posting!