View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rob32u

What is your anxiety like?

I know there's another thread for anxiety but it's not frequented too much.

This is a question for anyone who has experienced bad anxiety in sobriety or otherwise.

I was a regular drinker until two years ago, when I was drinking five a day every day, for many years. Then I cut back to five a day 3 or 4 days a week. Then I tapered it even further until I "quit" last September when I was drinking almost moderately. I had a fatty liver diagnosis, and stomach issues caused by NSAIDs and maybe alcohol. The fatty liver resolved according to a later MRI but I'm still taking Prilosec for the stomach issues. Since I "quit" I actually drank 8 more times, totaling 25-30 drinks over those 8 occasions, the last being 40 days ago.

But the anxiety I have now feels terrible. It actually started a year or so ago when I was still drinking but now it's come back. It's like a physical feeling of butterflies in your gut, times a hundred. I'm not even sure if it's alcohol related since I haven't drank a lot for so long. I've always worried about my health for some reason and maybe all these health issues have set it off. If I hadn't had an endoscopy and MRI six months ago to diagnose the stomach issues, I would think it was something physical....that's how intense it is. It's worse in the mornings and let's up at night.

The stomach issues feel like nausea when they flare up, but the anxiety like atomic butterflies. I think the stomach issues may be getting better because the anxiety doesn't seem to be setting them off like they were before. But I'm losing weight and I think it's the anxiety. I'm going to the doc in a couple days about that.

Does anyone have anxiety that feels like that? Is it just worry about specific things, or does it seem to have a life of its own, like it's a physical issue in your body regardless of what you worry about?