Thread: Antabuse pills
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

batchel....I worked with alcoholics for many years. I was the medical co-ordinator between psychiatry and medicine in a large heal care organization.
As such, I prescribed Antabuse for many of the patients.
I need to say, that I was watching over them carefully for their physical conditions...and I had evaluated their liver function, etc.).
In addition, they were all in a three month rehab program, as well, and I met with all the family members.
In other words.....it was a total program!
Antabuse was just one "tool" for them...It can be useful, in the beginning of recovery...mostly to help them from reaching for that "first drink"....it is the first drink that does the damage...because the alcoholic can't stop at a first drink. It is based on the reasoning, that if a person knows that the drink will cause them to become violently ill...they will have thinking time to make other decisions....like, go to a meeting, or call their sponsor, or get the hell out of the bar...etc.
Antabuse, alone, won't stoop anyone who wants to drink from finding a way....
they will stop taking the pill....or, they may try to drink on it...I have seen people do that , too!
In short, it is a helpful tool for th ose who are motivated to stay sober.
Personally, I would never prescribe Antabuse to someone who was not working a program.
A daily AA meeting is the best medicine that I can think of...lol....