Thread: Antabuse pills
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
August252015

Antabuse is a serious drug that can be an excellent tool when used effectively and correctly - it can be very dangerous, even lethal, if misused.

I assume your husbancd is under the care of a psych who is prescribing this - have they discussed his commitment to sobriety? I took antbuse while still drinking and would sometimes skip doses and even drink while on it. I am very lucky I did not suffer worse consequences than couple instances of leg cramping/mild seizures and serious red face and heart constriction.

I took it successfully last year for the first 90 days of my sobriety. My psych took it so seriously that she had me get a paper signed with witness and date/time signature, every day. Antabuse can be hard on the liver so my understanding is that most drs don't prescribe it for long time use.

I was completely committed to sobriety so Antabuse was one tool of several medicinal ones (I started and still take Campral/acamprosate for cravings,, and an anxiety med as needed).

Bottom line: does your husband want to quit drinking, full stop? For me, everything medical and otherwise followed from that decision.