View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
steve-in-kville
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My personal opinion is that it's because you are an alcoholic, just like me - and most of the rest of us here in the recovery community. But you will have to make that decision, and i know it's one you've struggled with and even discussed here publicly.

As to "why", there is no answer. I tried desperately to find the same answer for years, but really what I was searching for a way to "fix" the "why" and be able to drink normally again. It's another one of addictions' insidious motives to keep us drinking

As far as what to do, for me the first step was to accept that I am an addict/alcoholic. You don't even need to use those terms, but accepting that you can never drink "normally" and that abstinence is the only solution is key. If you can do that, you can start to participate in recovery - through groups, individually, or however you choose. But none of the recovery methods will work until you first accept the aforementioned concept. If you are truly unable to stop on your own, supervised detox or rehab might be necessary to help get you started. Big problems demand big solutions...and judging by your posts here, you've got a big problem - would you agree?
^^^ This. I haven't always agreed with what Scott says, but this is dead on.

(You're still my hero, Scott!)