Old 02-26-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Zenchaser ~

I mentally work through and store Alt Scenarios. I plan my 'Escape', so to speak, in order to not be trapped - unaware - and be a sort of pawn to Circumstance. This is just how I roll. I chalk this up to Genetics, and Sober Living/Practice. Thanks to the Minds @ SR for these tips, like the fine ideas up-Thread here.

I've got a Wedding/Reception out in the future. A Pal's Kid is getting Married. Gonna be a Big Deal of an Event. I'll be staying locally near this Event, but will drive/Cab it separately. My Wife of 40 Years can stay or leave. Her call; quite her separate Response to how I'll handle things. She already knows this. It's not negotiable. Things are actually quite simple within this pre-established framework. This is how Sober People live, IMO.

One Technique suggested here by others is to stay for the Wedding and ~1/2 Hour of the Reception. Then, bolt. That's my Plan #1. If I'm in the mood, I'll stay longer; if it's not Teeth-grinding *work*. In any case, I won't be trapped. The AV can say what it wants. That's all a non-event to me by now, having >3 Years of Sober 'Practice' at coping in a Drinking Culture under my Belt. As a 'Ben & Jerry's' Ice Cream Bumper Sticker says: 'If It's Not Fun, Why Do It'? Being stuck around Drunks is decidedly not fun. Personal Resolve deflates confrontation.

Sobriety First. All other Life Considerations, including possible ruffled Feathers? A very distant second...