View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
HTown
2/2016

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
.. cc

I appreciate the viewpoints of the young folks here. Unfortunately, my husband and I taught our now college senior son, by example, that daily binge drinking was not only acceptable but that you could be financially successful while doing so. Bad lesson to teach, and I worry about him because when he comes home from school he's drinking the same way that I used to do.
#Purplecat, has your son noticed you are sober now? Has he mentioned it? I am convinced there is a genetic component to alcohol abuse. It is rampant on both sides of my family, and neither of my parents drink because of it, but I did. I have talked to my neice and nephews about it. Telling them to be aware they are maybe more at risk . We never talked about grandma being an alcoholic or my mom an adult child of an alcoholic or my dad's brother who ruined his life and his parent's lives with alcohol when the kids were little, but now it is important I think to mention.

Is it possible to address this with your son? Can you say you learned such a valuable lesson you want to be sure he knows? That you want to see him not make your mistakes?