View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gabriel1

Advice on Quitting Alcohol

Hello. My name is Gabriel. I came across this site yesterday. But the truth of the matter is I have been trying to find a good community for a while to help me quit alcohol and I hope sober recovery can help me.

I have been struggling with alcohol addiction for many years...probably 10 years of serious drinking most days of the week. I have been drinking to get drunk since I was an early teenager, however. I drink both beer and hard alcohol to get drunk and black out most days. This whole routine leads to fights with my wife, so I end up sneaking drinks. She knows I am drinking though because I always act like a fool. I'll always say things I regret, make a mess of the kitchen, call old friends, drop dishes and break them, wake up with strange bruises, and have no recollection of the night in the morning. I manage to go to work though, but hung over with anxiety, regret, a headache and vowing to quit that night. But I always manage to restart. The urge is too powerful.

My family has a strong history of alcohol abuse. My Dad died early and we are sure alcohol was a contributing factor. My younger brother died at 32 years from cirrhosis and a GI bleed. So sad...

I have to quit. I am in my early forties and do not want to die from alcohol the way my family has. I want to get along with my wife and want to be a good role model for my son. If I continue on this path, it is only a matter of time before I hit bottom. For the past few years I have quit on and off. My longest stent was for five months which was over a year ago. I planned to quit for the new year but there was always a reason to keep drinking, friends, family visit, birthday, etc. I am tired of this cycle. I am on day 4 now without alcohol today. I'm not drinking tonight. I dumped most of the alcohol down the drain. I've never had withdrawal symptoms. I would just like some advice on quitting alcohol for good. I am determined this time. I am doing the usual things like eating dinner early and eating sweets if needed. I'm drinking lots of water and have been going to the gym. These things have helped with the urges. Thank you and any advice would be appreciated.

Gabriel