View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RedMetalStone

Second Time Around

As the title says this is my second serious attempt to quit drinking as well as a co-abuse of opioid medication. Approximately a year ago I made it 32 days and then voluntarily ended my sobriety, as it was more of a test to see that I could do it than a real try.

However, I've been binge drinking, mainly 1-2 x per week for the last 11 years. My normal consumption was an absurd amount (upwards of 11-20 drinks per session if not more-St Patty's Days were always an outlier that went into high double digits and lasted almost 24 hours.) I've been arrested once for DUI but was lucky to get it pled down to a reckless op. I've lied, cheated on my wife, spentoney that should have paid for bills, etc.

Lately, hangovers had gotten to the point that I would take 10mg of a Rx narcotics when I'd wake up to get relief. It eliminated the hangover, thus there was no negative consequence. By the time the med worked, I slept and ate, I was fine and ready to go. However, this led to a dependency of daily use, which thankfully I overcame without and bad withdrawal symptoms.

With that out of my life, I am ready to give up drinking. The low point for me, despite all my other bad drinking behavior, was knowing that I was so obsessed with drinking that I turned to another drug to not feel the consequence of my actions.

I am at 1 day, 17 hours as of this writing. I've had some cravings today to drink, particularly when I got bored so I found and read this forum and decided to join. I am worried about tmrw as Fridays were a normal binge night for me. But I am determined to get alcohol out of my life.

Next week I start seeing a therapist who deals in addiction to try and figure out who the hell I am without alcohol and help me put me back together.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you all for reading.