Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
heartcore

I would have stood up after very few minutes & walked out of the room & shunned those people for a long time.

Really glad nobody did an intervention on me, because I love my loved ones & would hate to be "shunning them for a long time,"

I think interventions are invasive, but then I love the personal privacy.

I still haven't subdued the part of myself which gets defiant when I feel judged.
I might choose not to subdue it! It is a very useful & fiery part of me.

Most addicts & alcoholics I know (99.99999 %) are sensitive to the feeling of "being judged." It is felt keenly. Like a knife. Sometimes it isn't even happening & we feel it.

Defiance is the only immediate shield against that feeling.

As long as I hold a seed of shame in me, I need defiance to shield me. So - I've never experienced an intervention, but the concept makes me uncomfortable.

I don't even know that I would ever choose to attend one on the other side - to "intervene" on someone.

Addicts & alcoholics already know they are addicted. They know they are damaging relationships. They are embarrassed. Hearing that I had hurt people I cared about would make me hurt. I knew how to soothe hurt with substances.

Curious - did any of us come into recovery through an intervention? How do you feel about it in retrospect?