Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I would suggest reaching out to some of the people who give you their numbers at meetings. I have a handful of close AA friends who I enjoy contacting between meetings, and sometimes going for coffee and chat with when we can fit it in.

Also, reading the literature on a daily basis.

I have never used the online meetings, but I believe many make use of them who are in remote areas or just cannot get to meetings.

The other thing that was a life saver for me for a between meetings AA fix were the speaker recordings. I bought myself a cheap little mp3 player so I can download them onto there and listen while commuting, or washing up, or before I go to sleep - whenever it fitted in really. I use this website for downloading them (it's free and organised into different steps, so you can look up the newcomer ones and step 1 recordings). http://www.recoveryaudio.org/

Much of the work that we refer to (it works if you work it) happens outside of meetings, as we learn to apply the principles of the program to our day to day life, our relationships, work, driving, etc. It took me a long time to suss that meetings in themselves are not The Program. If you can ask someone to be your sponsor and guide you through the steps, then do so.

I'd also suggest that if you are only making one meeting a week, try to get there early so you can help set up, and stay and help clear up. This is when I've had some of the most useful conversations at AA meetings. Often there are quieter folk with great sobriety who are less likely to open up in the main meeting than they are to chat openly while washing the coffee cups. Service really helps us to feel involved and useful, which is pretty important to us As. If we feel we're being useful in some way, it really helps us to reach out when WE need help, or someone to sound us out, or someone to kick our backsides for us.

I wish you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB