Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
crazychef

Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread, but for me, it is a choice. Not a disease, not a sin per say, but a choice which is given to me. I didn't go the big book route, though I do go to a weekly meeting it is more for fellowship amongst those also in recovery. I went the AVRT route, and for me, alcohol is the monster that is trying to defeat me. I made the choice to fight the monster instead of continuing down the scary path it was taking me.
I agree with soCal. It's a choice of pleasure. Do I think certain people are more susceptible to not knowing how to handle that. Yes, absolutely. The same way certain people overindulge with gambling, sex, stealing, lying, fetishes, crime, ect. What ever else floats their boat to give them a feeling of wanting more even though they know its hurting them or someone else.

Calling it a disease takes the responsibility and accountability away from the person doing those things. Cancer is a disease. Alcohol can/is be/an addiction with a choice to stop. As for Sin???? Drinking is not a sin. It's all the bad things you do when your drunk that's a sin.