Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

AA -still feel like I am not doing it right
Luckily with the program of AA you aren't graded at the end.

But you do have to put in the effort. Fear of failure (or not doing it right) is part of what kept me from doing the steps for many years and was the cause of 2 major relapses, the 2nd of which nearly killed me. I have always been a procrastinator, and through taking the steps it became clear that a major reason for that was fear. Fear of failure (not doing it right) and fear of what others would think of me if I didn't do it right. In my sick mind I felt the way to solve this issue was to just avoid doing anything, but that just constantly got me into trouble in every aspect of my life.

I really had to fight my instinct to procrastinate this time around when I got to step 4. Luckily I had a great sponsor and he really helped me to get past it and keep moving. The steps aren't something that can be done perfectly nor is there one right way to do them. As long as you do them honestly and thoroughly to the best of your ability you are doing them right.

My suggestion would be to jump into the program with both feet like you would jump into cold water. Just do it! Get a sponsor who will start taking you through the steps as soon as possible and just don't look back. When you get done, if you don't feel you have done them right (highly unlikely) you can always do them again.