Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ItsViolet

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
But after hearing other people tell their stories and make comments I feel like I am not working the program properly. I really haven't gotten a solid sponsor yet, and I am not sure if I want one. I know I need to talk to someone to complete my fifth step. I don't know if I want to impose on someone.

Advice would be appreciated.
Hi Doug, I felt like this too, when I was new in AA. But that was before I understood that once AA members become sober through working the 12 steps, one of the most important things they do to *stay* sober is to help newcomers. This includes working with newcomers one-on-one and taking them through the steps. In AA this is considered an essential part of the program, an essential part of maintaining sobriety.

"Carrying the message to other alcoholics" is even written right into step 12. To freely give to others what has been freely given to us. We help each other. Newcomers help experienced members just as much as experienced members help newcomers. So by asking someone for help, you could help someone too, even if it doesn't seem that way at first.

Why not try working with someone, and see how it goes? It may not be as bad as it might seem