Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AlaskaGirl

Hi Behappy1,

Hello! I think it’s awesome you are here learning about AVRT. It’s been a life changer for me.

In answer to your question… I acknowledge that my Beast wants me to get sloshed, but I don’t want to. I let myself hear the AV. I let the craving wash over me, sometimes I can feel it in every fiber of my body. Then I separate ME from IT. I am loving being a non-drinker. My Beast can’t make me do anything. Have you ever challenged your Beast to make you do something? Hold your finger up in front of your face. Challenge your Beast to move it. It can’t. YOU are in control. Once you TRULY take the option of drinking off the table, recognizing and separating your wishes from your AV becomes like second nature.

I do understand where you are coming from. I used to go into the liquor store like a sleep walker, feeling like I was being directed by something beyond my control. Not anymore.

Have you read Rational Recovery, The New Cure for Substance Addiction? It’s not necessary for AVRT to work for you, but I found it very helpful.

I see that Algorithm just posted, he has a great understanding of AVRT and has helped me a lot. Keep reading and posting, you will get a lot of support here. You got this!