View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Avra

Last night would have been excruitating three months ago

So last night I had to go to a dinner party - good friends of my in-laws and really was an obligation, so I went.
Honestly, I think if I was in the first few weeks of quitting it would have been very very challenging.

I get there and everyone is sitting around with wine/beer. First thing I am asked: what would I like to drink? I say water. Hostess asks if I would like apple juice with sparking water, or ginger ale etc. I think she was prepped by my mother in law that I am not drinking, so that was good. so far, OK. My husband also asks for something non alcoholic and him and I both settle on ginger ale. Great.

Then we all go sit in living room and everyone (there are 6 couples plus us) proceeds to talk about booze for the next hour and a half while they all drink around us. The host brings out different spirits they are all tasting and passing around. Would we like to try? no thanks.
Then dinner comes and we move to dining room to eat. More booze poured and then they start talking about wines.
I had a twinge or two where my thoughts strayed to wishing I was like them and could drink. But ultimately, I remembered my drinking realities. And mostly I was just bored. Out of my mind.
I don't think any of them are alcoholic per se. They didn't overdo it but what I am starting to realize more and more is how important drinking is to everyone. Last time I saw them they were all talking about different rums. I cannot imagine any of them having a good time without at least a drink or two. One thing the host said that did strike me as strange was that he felt people drinking light beer (as opposed to strong beer) dimishes the experience of getting together (he was referring to guys drinking together and ice fishing). WTH?

Anyway, it just struck me how far I have come because I don't think that would have been very easy for me in the first month or so. I would not have drank, but it would have been agonizing. While not easy it was OK. I made it and I have diminished its importance to me. I wouldn't want to do that every night though.

Thanks for listening.