View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NewRomanMan

Originally Posted by Melissa1217 View Post
"If he cannot or will not quit drinking, then you have your answer. If he's not an alcoholic he won't have any issue with stopping drinking for the sake of your relationship. It's a no brainer"

That's not necessarily true.

As I posted yesterday in a reply to another poster in a codependent relationship, it's not up to us to change our partners, our parents, or Joe Blow on the street.

I just ended a two year relationship with someone who was too controlling and decided he was going to tell me what to wear.

Uh, no. You're not.

If someone is in a relationship with someone and their behavior is so offensive, do everyone involved a favor and leave.

Threats, emotional extortion to get someone else to"change's...ugh.

Even the 12 steppers in alanon will tell you to detach and work on yourself.

Additionally, not all folks that drink have a problem, and to imply that this poster has a right to impose her will on someone else is over generalizing.

The only healthy thing to do is LEAVE if she finds the behavior of another so offensive.
Respectfully disagree. If I'm in a relationship that I claim means the world to me, and I'm not an alcoholic, why would I put it at risk by continually drinking to excess and doing something that A) I know irritates and annoys my SO B)Is probably going to damage my relationship eventually on some level and C) put me at a very high risk of watching my disease accelerate.