View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
Personally I think there has been a definite increase in alcoholism over about the last 20 years. Life is far more complicated than it was at one time and there are more negative stressors. Employment issues, astronomical divorce rates, uncountable cases of abuse and neglect, poverty, etc. Alcohol can provide a cheap an easy escape from all of those. The media plays a roll as well in glamorizing alcoholism in tv and film. Don't get me wrong. Alcoholism has always been around, as Scott pointed out. But I definitely feel we've seen a surge in the last 20 years or so.
i've said it a zillion times man was created to live and thrive in a society and under circumstances like what we face these days. maybe i'm wrong maybe its all relative and 3000 years ago offered man just as many horrible daily difficulties? I dunno. But it does seem some of us or many of us can only handle so much before we hit a breaking point and turn to something bad to give us some relief.

The only way i've found to combat this is to try and keep my life as simple as I possibly can and eat well and excercise for my relief. This is what works for me. that being said. I think i can only handle so much i'm ok with it i just have to repsect my boundaries.

The sad part is tho for me before i new it i was caught up in a life i couldnt manage or handle and was turning to booze ease my stresses.

simply reading the news each day and seeing the horrors of this world can really do you in as well. so I try to limit that too. sometimes i feel like i'm walking through life with the blinders on but sometimes I almost have too or i'll drive myself nuts with what i see out there.